Sunday, November 08, 2015

Christmas Time It's All About Jesus: My Review

Christmas Time: It's All About Jesus!

About the Book:
Since Christmas is such a captivating time of year, it's the perfect setting for telling children about the miracle of the Lord Jesus Christ's birth. Using selected passages from the first chapters of the gospels of Matthew and Luke, Christmas Time – It's All About Jesus tells the story of Jesus' birth in a delightfully poetic and child-like way. The sensational illustrations create an unforgettable image, so a child can always remember the true meaning of Christmas. 

As an added bonus, Pastor Russ and Sue have developed devotionals to be used by families to enrich their Christmas celebrations. These are complete with attributes and names of Jesus, questions for discussion, and activities to do as a family to share Christ with those around them. Coupled together, this story and devotionals will enhance your celebration of Christmas during the season and all year long! 

My Comments:
One of the things I miss about having a young child in the house is reading stories to my kids.  In my opinion, the most fun stories to read are those with rhythm and rhyme that also tell a good story.  Christmas Time: It's All About Jesus! is a perfect example.  The story is familiar to most of us and the way Sue Barksdale tells it is the way a read-aloud book should sound.  "Let's start with the angel who came to bring Good news that Mary would soon have the KING".  The illustrations by Alicia T. Young are colorful and charming.

As a Catholic mother, when I look at children's books put out by non-Catholic sources I check to see if there is anything in the book which disagrees with Catholic teachings.  I also check to see if they leave out things I consider important.  I'm pleased to say I have no complaints about this book.  Unlike many non-Catholic children's books about the Christmas story, this one does include the Visitation and it talks about Mary pondering things in her heart.

After the story has been told, the book includes family devotions based on the word GLORY.  Jesus came as Gift, Light, Only door, so we can Rejoice and as Yes to God's promises.

I'd like to thank the publisher for providing a complimentary review copy.  I was not obligated to write a positive review.  This book will be donated to my daughter's Catholic school.  Grade:  A.

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats