Thursday, November 19, 2015

Seven Quick Takes: Things for Which I am Thankful

seven quick takes friday 2

1.  As I start to plan Thanksgiving Dinner, I can sit back and think of the things for which I am thankful.  The first, of course, is my family.


It has been a good year for us.  My son recently started his second year on the job.  He works for the catering company at the Superdome.  Unfortunately it is only part-time, and during the summer it gets to be practically nothing, but he is gaining experience and it gets him out of the house.  Hopefully the next step will be to get a job to fill in the hours that the catering company doesn't use him.  Unfortunately, the money that paid to find him the job he has and to support him when he started it doesn't pay for a second job (he's autistic); the only way they will help him find another job is if he loses this one--and you can be sure it will be another low-wage part-time job.  My older daughter is doing well in college and we are going to get her today.  She's across the state but it is a pretty day and we have time off coming, so rather than have her wait and come home with friends in the middle of next week, we are getting her tomorrow. The youngest is getting big fast; it won't be long and she'll be gone too.  My husband is a salesman and this has been a good year.  

2.  I am thankful to live in the USA.  For all the threat some feel from Muslims, the reality is that we haven't had war on our soil in over one hundred years.  We enjoy economic prosperity and personal freedom.  God Bless the USA.

3. I am thankful that my family is doing well economically.  As noted above, my salesman husband has had a good year.  We have reached the point that interest and dividends add up.  My parents left us money.  I write about these things on another blog:  Racing Towards Retirement.

4.  I am thankful for good health for my family.

5.  I am thankful for good food, and thankful that my parish takes care of the poor.  One week the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts collected over a ton of food for the parish food bank.




6.  I am thankful for my Catholic faith.  It was a gift from my parents and a gift from God.

7.  I am thankful for my readers.  Like Kelly said, I appreciate those who click on ads, or use my links to buy books, as well as those who read and comment.  

Happy Thanksgiving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats